Search This Blog

Thursday, October 22, 2015

APPLE SLAB PIE W/ APPLE CIDER GLAZE




I know I said I was trying to eat and feed my family more healthy, but how could I possibly have my first "come back" post a super healthy recipe?!?  I decided to come back with a bang!  This Apple Slab Pie w/ Apple Cider Glaze was just the recipe I needed!  First, it is fall so Apple pie is a must. This is not just any Apple pie...this is a slab pie!  A slab pie is meant to be made when you need to feed a crowd...a hungry crowd that is!!  I made this for my families October birthday celebration. It was a hit!  Want to know how I know this?  My mom ate two pieces...and not within a few hours of each other, I am talking back to back pieces!

You will notice I don't have a recipe for the double crust. There is a reason...I usually don't make my own crust. There are things I love to take the time to make from scratch, but pie crust is not one of them. It is such a time saver to grab a crust or two from the store. I did however take the time to set up my Pampered Chef Apple Corer and Peeler I received as a gift from my mother in law. It took some cursing and a bit of frustration, but once it was together it was a blast to peel, core and thinly slice my apples all in one fell swoop! Hey it does not take much to make this girl happy!!!   What does make me happy is this slab pie. Please take the extra step and save the apple cinnamon juicy goodness that will be drained from the apple filling. When mixed in with the other ingredients it makes the perfect glaze for this yummy pie!!!

Serves 18

Ingredients:
 
Pie Crust & Filling
-  4 store bought round pie crusts (I prefer Pillsbury)
- 10 to 12 Granny Smith apples, peeled,  cored & sliced thin   
 -  1 1/4 c. Sugar
-  2 tsp. Cinnamon
-  4 TB lemon juice
-  6 TB cornstarch, divided
-  1/4 c. Heavy cream (for brushing top of crust pre-baked). 
-  Course baking sugar (to sprinkle over the top of pie pre-baked)
 
Glaze
-  2/3 c. Reserved Apple juice (from filling)
-  1 TB. Unsalted butter melted
-  1 1/2 c. Powdered sugar

Equipment:
-  Pam spray
-  parchment paper
-  jelly roll pan
-  pastry brush
-  rolling pin

Directions:
1.  Preheat oven to 375 degrees or 350 degrees if using a convection oven. 
2.  Lightly spray jelly roll pan with Pam Spray. Line jelly roll pan with  
     parchment paper.
3.  Take out two of the pre-made round pie crusts. On a lightly floured service 
      use rolling pin to make each into a rectangle. This does not have to be 
      perfect. The goal is to line the jelly roll pan with crust so entire bottom is
      covered and coming over sides by about an inch or two. 
4.  In a large bowl mix together: apples, sugar, cinnamon and lemon juice. Set
     aside for about 10 minutes so that excess apple juice will drain.
5.  Sprinkle 4 TB of the cornstarch over the uncooked pie crust that is
      waiting to be filled in jelly roll pan. 
6.  Drain juice from apples- I placed a bowl over a colander and poured
      Apple mixture into colander. Once  juice is drained reserve it. Place 
      drained apples back into a bowl and sprinkle with remaining two TB of
      cornstartch. Mix well. 
7.  Scoop out apples and place over the uncooked pie crust in jelly roll. 
      Make a nice even layer so apples cook evenly.



8.  Roll out remaining two pie crusts into a rectangular form. Again, this does 
     not have to be picture perfect as long as it covers the top of the pie. 
9.  Fold the bottom layer of pie crust up and over the top layer. Pinch together
     with fingers or a fork so edges are seamed together. 
10. Brush top of pie with cream. Cut vents into dough so steam can 
       escape. Sprinkle with course sugar. 
11. Place pie uncovered in oven and bake for about 45-50 minutes until
     golden brown. 
12. In the meantime make the Glaze:
       In medium bowl mix reserved apple juice, melted butter and powdered
      sugar. Whisk until smooth. 
13. Once pie is done baking cool completely.  Drizzle top of pie with
      glaze. 
14. Serve with a scoop of vanilla ice-cream. 





 

No comments:

Post a Comment