Search This Blog

Monday, January 16, 2012

CIAMBELLONE - TUSCAN RING CAKE

I'm back!!  Well, I am back for at least the night.  Let's take the blog posts one post at a time!  For those of you who are not aware...I am pregnant with my fourth!  Yes, we will now have twin four year olds, a 15 month old and a new born....ahhhhh!!!!  I have not been able to post because I was so ill during my whole first trimester.  Now I am well into my second trimester, but to find any time to myself with a house full of little bambinos is close to impossible!  I have in fact found the time tonight and am very excited to tell you about a new cook-book I have fallen in love with.  The cook book is called  " Cucina Povera - Tuscan Peasant Cooking".  I have always labeled my cooking as "rustic gourmet".  I do not cook fruffy food with funny, unknown ingredients.  I cook using simple and fresh ingredients that are not complicated.  This cook book is simple italian food that reminds me of my grandma big time.

  Within the last week I made three recipes , the first of which is called "Ciambellone" a tuscan ring cake.  Italian deserts are my most favorite, because they are high in flavor, but low in sugar. This cake uses 8 ingredients that most of us have in our kitchen at all times with some added lemon zest and  fresh squeezed lemon juice.  It also calls for a cup of extra virgin olive oil which makes this tremendous crispy crust on the outside of the cake while leaving the interior of the cake moist and delicious.  These recipes are very old fashioned and do not use any high tech kitchen gadgets.  When mixing the ingredients to this recipe I used just a regular wooden spoon as not to overmix anything.  I sprinkled some powdered sugar atop the cake and served a dollop of fresh whipped cream on the side.  Super simple and super yummy!


CIAMBELLONE - TUSCAN RING CAKE  

  • 5 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
  • 1 1 /2 teaspoons baking powder
  • pinch of salt
  • 5 large eggs
  • 2 1/2 cups sugar
  • 1 cup milk
  • 1 cup extra-virgin olive oil
  • grated zest and juice of 1 lemon
  1. Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees.
  2. Lightly butter and flour a 12 inch tube pan; knock out excess flour.
  3. In a medium bowl, combine the flour, bkg powder, and salt.  Stir with a whisk to blend.  Set aside.
  4. In another bowl, whisk the eggs until blended, then gradually whisk in the sugar. 
  5. Stir in the milk, olive oil, lemon zest, and lemon juice.
  6. Fold in the flour mixture just until well blended.
  7. Pour the batter into the prepared pan and smooth the top.
  8. Bake for 40-45 minutes, or until the top is golden and the cake pulls away from the sides of the pan.
  9. Remove from the oven, invert on a cake rack, and let cook completely.
  10. Run a thin knife around the sides of the pan and invert the cake onto a plate.
  11. Sprinkle top of cake with powdered sugar.  Cut into wedges and serve with a dollop of fresh whip cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment