Search This Blog

Monday, October 3, 2011

ORZO SALAD

I have started making some terrific fall recipes and I cannot wait to post them all (when I have time)!  But...I realized I do in fact have a bunch of summer recipes that I have not posted yet.  I am going to try to "squeeze" the last bit of summer out this week and post some summer favorites that I made for family and friends recently.  The first of these recipes is a super simple and quick Orzo Salad that I made for a friend to take to a baby shower a month or so back.  There are so many recipes out there for pasta salads you could make one every day for a whole year and still not get any where near making them all.  The one thing I have realized is that pasta salad is very filling.  For this reason when making a starchy salad for an all women's party I try to stick to either orzo or couscous.  Does it make any sense when I say it is more "lady like" when eating more of a dainty pasta like orzo or couscous rather than a big tortelinni?  That being said this recipe is also great along side a simple piece of grilled chicken and grilled salad for a fast summer meal!


ORZO SALAD 

  • 1 lb. orzo
  • 1 cups chopped grape tomatoes
  • 1 cup chopped cucumbers
  • 1/2 cup halved kalamata olives
  • 1 cup quartered canned artichoke hearts
  • 2 tablespoons chopped red onion
  • 1 cup crumbled feta cheese
  • 1/4 cup rough chopped fresh basil
  • 1/3 cup red wine vinegar
  • 1/4 cup olive oil
  • 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
  • salt, pepper and crushed red pepper to taste
  1. Bring a medium pot of salted water to a boil.  Add uncooked orzo.  Cook until aldente'. Drain and rinse orzo under very cold water.  Place in medium sized bowl and set aside.
  2. Add tomatoes, cucumbers, olives, red onion, artichoke hearts, feta and chopped fresh basil.  Toss well to combine.
  3. In a small bowl add red wine vinegar.  Slowly add olive oil and whisk quickly to incorporate.
  4. Add garlic powder, salt, pepper and crushed red pepper and whisk into olive oil mixture.  Add dressing to the orzo and toss well to coat.
  5. Place in fridge so flavors meld together.  Serve room temperature.
* Right before serving I ususally drizzle a good quality olive oil over top and toss again.

No comments:

Post a Comment