Search This Blog

Sunday, July 31, 2011

HEARTS OF PALM & ORANGE SALAD W/ CITRUS VINEGRETTE

This salad is the second salad I served at my parents surprise 40th anniversary party.
 I wish just going to serve one salad to start...that was the plan...but I had found some hearts of palm at Costco recently and I decided I just HAD to make something with hearts of palm.  I found this recipe on a fun blog called The Wednesday Chef.  Let me tell you....even though this was just an "extra" salad, to me this was one of the stars of the show. I have to admit that I was once one of those people who could not stand fruit in my salads.  Savory recipes that included fruit I would completely bypass. My taste buds have changed for the better because I absolutely loved this salad! I changed it up a bit is by adding a small bit of thinly sliced red onion.  The oranges in the salad are supposed to be blood oranges, but since blood oranges have a very short season, I used navel oranges instead.  Also, it calls for the salad to lay on a bed of "frize" salad.  I could not find just frize anywhere...not even Caputos, so I used a spring mix that included some frize in it.  It turned out great.  This recipe is for sure a keeper!

HEARTS OF PALM & ORANGE SALAD W/ A CITRUS VINEGRETTE 
Serves 4

  • 2 blood oranges or other oranges that are in season
  • 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
  • 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
  • Salt and pepper
  • 3 to 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
  • 1 teaspoon red wine vinegar, optional
  • 1 jar (14.8 ounces) hearts of palm, drained and quartered lengthwise
  • 1 TB. thinly sliced red onion
  • Small head frisée lettuce
1. Working with one orange at a time, peel the fruit, taking care to remove most of the
    pith. Working over a bowl, slice the orange into segments, letting the segments and
    juice fall into the bowl. Squeeze any juice from the leftovers in your hand into the
    bowl.
2. Stir the mustard and lemon juice together in a wide bowl. Add some salt and pepper
    to taste, then stir in the reserved blood orange juice. Whisk in the olive oil. Taste for
    seasoning and add the vinegar, if using. Add the hearts of palm to the bowl and
    gently turn them in the vinaigrette. Set aside to marinate.
3. Arrange the frisée on a serving plate or in a bowl. Place the hearts of palm and
    orange segments over the frisée.  Sprinkle red onion over the top and drizzle with the
     vinaigrette. Drizzle a little more olive oil over the salad and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment