Search This Blog

Thursday, June 23, 2011

FROZEN TIRAMISU

I have pretty much always stayed away from making any kind of "ice-cream" cake or pie.  Most of the recipe just seem a little too simple...meaning why don't I just serve my guests a bowl of ice-cream.  I have changed my mind after making a great, great dessert:
Frozen Tiramisu.  For father's day I was looking for a dessert that I had never made before and my family had never tried before.  I found this recipe in a Better Home & Gardens special interest magazine called " Just Grill It!".  Not only did I find the recipe for the Frozen Tiramisu, but I also marked the pages for some more frozen desserts and a ton of grilled recipes...look for it on the magazine rack!  So this Frozen Tiramisu turned out awesome!!!!!  It may have started out a bit slow.  My husband kids and I got home from a party last saturday at about 9:30 at night.  We put the kids to bed and I decided to look over the recipe so I would know what to do the next day to make it.  While reading the recipe over I realized that I needed to make this dessert in layers and needed to freeze it for 3  hours between layers and when done freeze the entire dessert for 8-12 hours...AHHHHH.  So at 10:00 at night I am making this darn dessert and then I realize I am out of butter.  My dear husband (pretty awesome) ran out to get me some butter. While he was gone I looked behind the milk carton in the fridge and realized I did in fact have butter.  Long story short...once I finally got started  the dessert was pretty easy to make.  It was well worth it as well....as the dessert was awesome, awesome, awesome!!!!  Plus you can freeze the leftovers and snack on it later in the week!


FROZEN TIRAMISU 

  • 1 cup crushed chocolate wafer cookies
  • 1/2 cup finely chopped pecans, toasted
  • 1/4 cup butter, melted
  • 1/4 cup espresso or strong coffee, cooled
  • 1  3 oz. package ladyfingers, split
  • 2/3 cup heavy whipping cream
  • 2 TB. sugar
  • 1  8 oz. carton mascarpone cheese, softened
  • 2 TB. white creme de cacao ( I used Bailey's instead)
  • 1 1/2 quarts chocolate ice cream
  • 1 1/2 quarts vanilla ice cream
  • Chocolate covered coffee beans, chopped (optional) * Can be found at Target
  • Coarsely chopped chocolate (optional)
  1. For crust, in a medium bowl, combine crushed cookies, pecans and melted butter.  Press mixture evenly onto the bottom of a 10 inch springform pan.
  2. Drizzle half of the espresso or coffee over flat sides of ladyfingers.  Vertically line the side of the pan with ladyfingers, placing the rounded sides to the outside.  Set aside.
  3. In a small bowl, combine cream and sugar.  Beat with an electric mixer on medium speed until soft peaks form (tips curl).  In a medium bowl, combine mascarpone cheese, creme de cocao, and the remaning espresso/coffee.  Beat on the medium speed until well mixed.  Fold whipped cream into mascarpone mixture just until combined.
  4. In a medium bowl, stir chocolate ice cream with wooden spoon just until softened; spread over crust.  Spread mascarpone mixture over ice cream.  Cover and freeze about 3 hours or until firm.
  5. In a medium bowl, stir vanilla ice cream with a wooden spoon just until softened; spread over mascarpone mixture.  Cover and freeze for 8 to 24 hours or until firm.
  6. Let tiramisu stand at room temperature for 15 minutes beofore serving.  Remove side of pan.  If desired, sprinkle with chopped coffee beans and chocolate.

    No comments:

    Post a Comment